Followers

Sunday 7 July 2019

One Brand Full Face Makeup - essence

Hey gorgeous, welcome back to my blog!

For today's post, I'll be doing another one brand full face makeup and this time I will be using everything from essence including some of their latest makeup collection. If you're keen to see how the completed makeup will look like, keep on scrolling!


First up was the primer that I used and it was the essence Prime + Studio Mattifying + Pore Minimising primer with black clay. Not gonna lie, this primer has a very weird smell and honestly I can't put it into words how weird the smell is. So if you are curious, head over to a Guardian store and smell it yourself. Anyway back to the primer itself, as you should already know by now that I have oily skin, so when it comes to primer, I always go for the mattifying one. But if you do not have oily skin like me, you may want to go for the  Redness Correcting Printer from their Prime + Studio collection.



Apart from the weird smell, there was nothing else I didn't like about the primer. It was very light weight due to its airy and light texture. And even though it is greyish in colour, once I applied it to your face, it turned translucent. My face stayed matte throughout the entire day and needless to say, my makeup also lasted the entire day. I would definitely recommend this $7 primer to all my oily skin type friends out there.

Next, I've got to prime my eyes as well and I was using the eye primer from essence's latest collection - You Better Work! So all the products in this new collection from essence are said to be gym proof and water proof which means you can apply the makeup to your work out! Back to the eye primer, the first thing I noticed was the smell of the primer (again) and this eye primer smells like crayon but I felt that it wasn't too overpowering and I actually quite like the smell after a while.



The texture of this eye primer is also very light weight but yet it is a little sticky which I like because I want my eyeshadows to stick to my lids all day. For only $5.50, I think this drugstore eye primer is definitely one of the better eye primers I have ever used thus far.

The next item was probably my favourite in this post and that's the essence You Better Work! camouflage concealer palette.



This $7.50 concealer palette has a total of 8 shades, with which there are a total of 5 different shades of concealer for different skin tones as well as 3 colour correcting shades for anti redness and dark circles. So for me, since I had some break outs, I went for the green shade to even out the redness on my skin first. Then I used the salmon shade (third shade on the bottom row) for my dark circles. I love that the concealers are not drying because I do have very dry undereyes so concealers tend to crease pretty badly if they are too drying.

After correcting and evening the skin tone, it's time to apply the foundation and my choice here was the essence Stay All Day 16H long lasting make up in shade 10 soft beige.

Packaging is simple in this nude colour and it comes with a pump =)

It has a very strong powdery smell which I thought was alright but perhaps if you are someone who is very sensitive to smell then I suggest to smell this foundation first before deciding whether to purchase or not. One major thing that turned me off was the shade selection; there was only like 4 shades and I had to choose the lightest of them all because the others were way too dark for me. 


Even then, this shade was not a perfect match for me. It was too orangey to my liking and I looked like I was wearing a mask after applying the foundation.

After applying the foundation to one side of the face, can you tell that the right side of my face was of a different shade?!
As for the coverage, I would say its medium to high. One layer was all I needed to cover my blemishes and acne scarrings but that was also partly because of the concealer that I had already applied prior to the foundation. I also felt that that foundation was not as light weight as it said it was but it's definitely not tacky. Overall, it did last a whole day but the shade totally turned me off so I guess this was the first and the last time I would be using this foundation. If you like your foundation to have the orange under tone, then this $7.50 foundation can be something you wanna consider.

To complete the base makeup, the final step was to set the foundation and concealer in place. For setting powder, I was using the essence You Better Work! fixing powder.



Love the packaging of this fixing powder, so compact and sleek and it also comes with a makeup sponge! The powder actually reminded me of their All About Matte fixing compact powder that I used to love. They both have mattifying effect and are both white in colour. Only difference was that this new fixing powder came with a makeup sponge but honestly, don't even try applying the powder with the sponge provided because it ended up removing some of my foundation instead.

See, even my doggie noticed that the sponge was dirty.

So in my opinion, I think the previous All About Matte! fixing compact powder was good enough and that essence should consider bringing it back haha. The new You Better Work! fixing powder is retailing at $7 but I feel that there are better fixing powders in the drugstores that are probably cheaper as well.

Moving on to contour and blusher, I got a 3 in 1 palette and I'm loving it! So the palette that I got was this essence Hey Cheeks Blush, Bronzer and Highlighter palette and it's retailing at $12 (the most expensive product in this post).




Firstly, I really love the packaging because its dusty pink in colour and because its made of cardboard material, its super light and easy to bring around. It also comes with a mirror! I can totally foresee myself bring this when I go travelling. There are a total of 6 shades in this palette of which 1 is a highlighting shade, 3 Blush shades and 2 bronzing shades. Personally, I didn't like the highlight shade as the shimmer/glow was not strong enough to my liking.
The blushers and bronzers on the other hand are very pigmented and the colours are good for everyday use. But I did notice that there were some fall outs and the palette got a little messy so I had to clean it up before keeping. For $12, I think this is super worth buying and I highly recommend this to everyone.

Moving on to eye makeup, I used the essence blushed eyeshadow palette which was retailing at $8 for a total of 10 shades. That's super cheap in my opinion.


The colour payoff was really good and there was no fall outs at all, even for the shimmer shades. The texture was very creamy as well.


So to create a simple, everyday eye look, I first used shade number 1 to put it on my entire eye lid to set as a base colour. Next, I used shade no 2 and focus it on my crease stopping near the crease line. I then used a crease brush to blur the lines and mixed them properly. Next, I applied shade no 3 on the end of my lid and slowly blend it towards the crease line. Lastly, I applied shade no 4 to the centre of my lid, for a little shimmer. Also, i felt that shade no 5 is perfect for the brow bone highlight.


Lastly to complete the eye makeup, I used the essence You Better Work! length definition mascara which is retailing at $6. I didn't really like this mascara as I felt that it was rather clumpy and my lashes did not really seem to lengthen as the mascare suggested. I was able to remove the mascara quickly with a makeup remover wipe so I felt that it wasn't that waterproof at all. But it's only $6 so I guess it's not too bad for everyday use.


And my one brand essence makeup was completed. All in all, I think essence is a very very affordable drugstore brand, even way more affordable than Maybelline or L'oreal. So I think for make up beginners, if you are looking for cheap makeup to play with, this is a good brand to start with. I personally love the eyeshadow palette, the Hey Cheeks palette as well as the face primer and eye primer that I used in this post. The palettes are really affordable and the colour payoff is really good.

So that's all I have for this post, I hope you have enjoyed reading it and I will see you in my next post, xoxo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment