Followers

Friday 8 June 2018

Hari Raya Special: Traditional Food From Pasar Malam

Hey Readers, welcome back!

Hari Raya is just around the corner and that means it's time to feast at all the pasar malams that have sprouted up everywhere, not forgetting the biggest one at Geylang Serai. I'm sure most of you have already done your research on what's new there this year to try. For me, as much as I love the new items, somehow deep inside me I prefer the traditional food stuff that we see since we were young. Therefore in today's post, I will be sharing some of the food that you can get at practically any pasar malam (avoid the crowd at Geylang Serai).

1) Dengdeng, widely known as the halal bak kwa. The meat here is usually either beef or chicken and they are so tender and soft unlike our chinese bak kwa. However, I do feel that it is a little oilier than normal bak kwa. Two pieces of dengdeng is approximately SGD $5 so it is slightly more costly than the chinese bak kwa. It also comes with spicy flavour which is my personal favourite so I really do highly recommend you trying if you haven't already.



2) Vadai is a savoury fried snack that originated from India. Over the years, it has become a popular food in Pasar malams all over Singapore and you will see long queues for this wherever you go. I personally go for the bigger ones that has got prawns on it and these usually cost $2 for 3 pieces and the stall owners will throw in some green chilli for you to go with it. It tastes a little like chinese fried fritters and I love to eat them when it is hot as the crust is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.


3) Tea Leaf Eggs are basically hard boiled eggs cooked in a herbal tea soup for an extended period of time until the entire egg turn brownish black in colour. This is what I usually look for when I go to the usual pasar malam. I love the herbal smell of the eggs and I usually ask for those at the bottom or darker looking ones as that meant they are cooked for a longer time. The Pasar malam stalls usually sell them at $2 for 3 eggs and I personally feel that they make a good, healthy snack!



4) Keropok Lekor is another traditional Malay food that I always go for in Pasar Malam. It is basically fried fish paste that gives off a fishy smell once it is cooled down. There are two types of keropok lekor, one is the long and skinny (but usually crispier) type and the other is short and fat (usually chewier) that I personally prefer.


5) Ramly burger is a staple in all pasar malams and I believe it’s not unfamiliar to anyone. This is s god choice to go for if you are looking for something cheap and good. I like it that the burger is so much better than burgers from fast food joints where you can get it for less than half price. There are usually more than one stall in a pasar malam selling ramly burgers but just look for the one with the longest queue and you won’t be disappointed.

Well, that's all I have for my favourite traditional pasar malam food. Let me know if you have any recommendations and I would love to try them out too! Happy eating, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment